Tuesday, May 16, 2006

neighbors

We sold our house the other day. I was telling our neighbors about how we sold the house really quickly and we got our asking price. They just looked at me.

So, I explained that only two people looked at it and they both bid on it.

They just looked at me.

Full price.

They just looked at me.

I couldn't figure out what they were thinking. They didn't seem upset, just puzzeled. Quizical.

They said, "Who'd ya sell it to?"

I paused. "I don't know."

They just looked at me.

So, not knowing what else to do, and being totally deficit in small talk skills, I said, "Goodbye" and left.

Later, It occured to me why they were so puzzeled. I had just told them that I sold my house, right next to them, and I hadn't even bothered to find out who I had sold it to. Could be I sold it to vampires, or maybe a child molester. They could have mongrel biker thugs, perverts, and Bush Supporters moving in right next to them and their innocent children. Their pets could be in jeopardy. I could have sold it to anybody or anything.

Put in on the market, sell it, pack up and move. That was the plan. I would've sold to anybody. Jack the Ripper, if he came up with a decent down payment, could join the Home Owners Association. Then we would move far away and leave the beleagured neighbors to deal with 'whatever' moved in.

No wonder they just looked at me.

No comments: